Just In Time Agile2010 Submission
Hey everyone! I just submitted three session to the Agile2010 submission system. If you have a minute, please head over and give me some feedback. Submissions close this Friday, February 26th… not sure how long sessions will be open for input. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say while I can possibly change something. Sorry for the fire drill… been slammed ;-)
How to Own a Really Big Complex Product
Product Owner is the most misunderstood and misapplied role in Scrum. The concept barely works on small products… it almost always fails in larger enterprises where many teams work together on complex enterprise deliverables. We hear about people implementing product councils and product owner teams but that seems to miss the point of having single wring-able neck. This talk explores the role of Product Owner and breaks down just what it takes to do this role well. We’ll explore a capability driven model for scaling the PO role and keeping us all focused on building the right products.
- What does it mean to be a PO in Scrum?
- Why the PO role is often too big for one person?
- What happens when the PO tanks the project?
- Scaling the PO using a capabilities based approach
Value over Velocity… What To Do When Velocity Isn’t Driving Business Outcomes
Having a stable team velocity is critical to delivering a well run and predictable agile project. When organizations begin comparing velocity between teams, or trying to roll-up velocity across teams, many find that team level performance doesn’t necessarily provide an accurate picture of project or portfolio level performance. This talk explores where velocity works, and where velocity fails, and outlines several approaches for tracking project and portfolio performance in more complex software development organizations.
- Understand where velocity works and where it doesn’t… and why!
- Discover how the relationship between velocity and value breaks down on larger corporate initiatives
- Learn a lean portfolio management approach that ensures we are driving value creation on more complex projects and products.
- Learn how to restructure your agile portfolio to focus on your highest priority business outcomes
How To Get Started With Agile
So you are considering going agile, huh? Your biggest question is probably “where do I start”? This session will help you answer that question and get you started down the road to agility . Mike will explore how to choose your first project and ensure that the pilot team is setup for success. He will talk through common organizational challenges and show you how to overcome them. You’ll leave this talk with the knowledge necessary to get your first team going while laying the foundation to build on that success.
- Learn how to form agile teams around clearly defined business benefit and constrained value.
- Discover how to set teams up for success by giving them what they need to be successful
- Build trust with your organization by managing commitments and delivering on regular intervals
- Overcoming organizational impediments and building on your success
Thanks for your help! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!